I’m pregnant (!), and here are a few things I’m wondering about right now (wondering about, not complaining about):
- Why do I have a big belly already? I’m only 13 ½ weeks and already full on into my maternity clothes. While I’m loving not having to button my pants and having room to grow after my meals, I’m confused. I don’t remember having this big of a belly until month five or six. When the doctor listened for the heartbeat she had to put the Doppler allllll the way down so I know there’s no baby up top --just my belly. The doctor said my body’s chemistry “may be reacting already to the pregnancy.” Whatever that means. I’ve also had people tell me that since this is my second, my abs (that I didn’t know I once had) are stretched and easier to pry open and make room for the baby. I don’t know. Baby “Dos” is only the size of a shrimp, according to BabyCenter.com. Maybe I’ve got another 10 ½-pounder, 24-incher on the way!
- Why aren’t I as excited as I was with Lincoln? I feel bad saying that, but I just don’t have that “Oh my God!” feeling yet. I’m happy about it; Not hating this decision; Not regretting anything. I just remember being more excited at this point before. I think this may be because I’m busy being excited for the things Lincoln does. He’s getting so big!
- Why do I want a boy so bad? Like, bad. (And, again, I feel awful for saying that.) I wouldn’t return a girl; of course, I’d love her to death! But, I really want a boy. I like my boy. He’s a good one. It’s wrong of me to think another boy would be the exact same person, but I still think it would be pretty awesome to have two little blond boys running around the house.
- Why is everything moving so slowly!? Really, only 13 weeks? I feel like I’ve been pregnant forever already. Maybe it’s because I found out much early this time? Maybe I am excited and just don’t know it?
- Why do I feel like this is my last one? I’ve always wanted two or three kids, but I think I’m good with two. Everything is great so far with this pregnancy and my first was a dream. There’s nothing that has me sobbing “this is the last time I do this,” but I just think this is it. I’ll have this one, we’ll be complete.
- Why do I feel so ready? I AM READY for this one! Bring it on, Baby Dos! I know nothing will be the same as with Lincoln and our lives will be changed and flipped upside down (again), but BRING IT. I'm ready for diapers, late-nights, breastfeeding, baby laughs, crying, cooing, everything!
Just a few things I’m wondering right now--again, not complaining. I know I’m lucky. I know I’m blessed. I am grateful. I’m just thinking out loud here.
Any other moms expecting their second or remember what they felt about having #2?
Erin Hill is a first-time mom to Lincoln, who was born in January 2010. She's learning as she goes and is experiencing everything a new mom goes through while seeing the humor, irony, and enjoyment in her adventures.
Erin is a full-time technical writer, a freelancer for Patch, and co-creator and blogger at SlimSavers.com. She lives in Plum with Lincoln, her husband, Adam, their dog, Roxie, and five (yes, five) cats, Nirvana, Gary Roberts, Elvis, Talbot and Forrest. (Anyone want a cat?)